St. John's History
St. John’s United Lutheran Church was organized on December 10, 1950. The congregation was organized with 80 charter members. The first service for the church was held on July 6, 1950 in Room A of the Municipal Building of Alliance. In August 1950, services were held in the Seventh Day Adventist Church. In February 1951, a committee was appointed to draft plans and begin looking for a permanent site for the congregation. Two lots were purchased on Black Hills Avenue and the congregation broke ground for a new church building September 16, 1951. Most of the labor for the building was donated by church members. December 9, 1951, the cornerstone was laid. In April 1952, services were held in the new church basement as the rest of construction continued. Dedication of the new church was held on October 19, 1952.
In January 1982, the church council concluded that a new facility was needed. Five acres of ground on Emerson Avenue was purchased. Ground was broken for the new building in September 1982. The first service was held in the new building on May 1, 1983. The major portion of the fund for the new building came from the Estate of Mr. Oscar Belgum. The Educational Unit of the building is dedicated to his memory. It was because of his concern for the Christian Education of our children that this building became a reality.
During the years, the congregation has grown with the guidance of the Lord. With the Lord’s blessing we will continue doing God’s work among the people of the Nebraska Panhandle!